How is carbon measured for trading?

• 2 Replies

Brian Jacobsen

« on: 14/01/2010 18:30:03 »
Brian Jacobsen  asked the Naked Scientists:

Chris,

I am very curious about carbon trading.  I understand the basics of how the trading works, but how do regulators measure carbon dioxide output and enforce the restrictions?  Is the monitoring only practical for large scale industrial firms, or could the monitoring be done on a small scale, like from the tailpipe of a car?

Thanks for all your insights!

Brian

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 14/01/2010 18:30:03 by _system »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2010 20:59:56 »
I'm going to give you a link to my works website about calculating you carbon footprint. You might be able to use the calculations to trade amongst a small group. I'm not sure if this is what you want but its a good place to start.http://hantsdec.virtualschools.net/folders/free_downloads/free_teaching_resource__estimate_your_familys_carbon_footprint.cfm

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2010 00:14:08 »
I believe that commercial carbon trading is mostly based on smoke and mirrors.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!