Glider destroyed by lightning

• 3 Replies

Offline Graeme Cooper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« on: 20/02/2010 23:23:03 »
Hi, Sorry I am not a scientist so do please be gentle with me! I was just doing a Google search and I see there are some articles about a glider that was destroyed by lightning back in 1999. Well My I am the passenger that was in the glider that day who had to parachute to safety and I thought some of you may be interested to see my "Scrap book" of the days events. Click on this link:- http://sites.google.com/site/thebig40reachfortheskiesagain/
The attachment on the page is the Scrap book with photos of the wreckage etc. there are also radio and tv interviews and  reconstructions that you can watch / listen to on that page.
I went up again 10 years later with the same pilot, you can read all about it.
All the best
Graeme Cooper

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2010 10:15:09 »
Thanks for that. An interesting story.
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2010 12:25:02 »
Yes, many thanks for letting us know about your web page.

I was initially told the about the incident by a gliding friend (who has taken me up for a couple of flights) after I asked him about how gliders handle lightning, following a question about aircraft and lightning strikes posted on this forum.

Thanks again.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!

Offline Graeme Cooper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/02/2010 16:45:40 »
You are both welcome, A friend of mine flew a glider at the same club a year before me but was not given a parachute. I am glad they starting using them!