Do you know about Ngo Bao Chau' scientific works - 2010 Fields Medal?

• 2 Replies

Offline ferb82

• First timers
    • View Profile
Do you know about Ngo Bao Chau' scientific works - 2010 Fields Medal? What is the fundamental lemma for automorphic forms used for?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Anyone ?...I don't need to tell ewe lot that this is way over my head....erhmm...does this constitute me telling ewe lot ?
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Field's medal level maths is unbelievably complicated. 

More or Less on BBC radio 4 sent a highly qualified reporter (alex belos of alex's adventures in numberland) to the ceremony in Hyderabad, India and even the deleagates - professional mathematicians and science writers admitted to only understanding a tiny fraction of the lectures/seminars given.  Cedric Villani, one of the winners described advanced maths as having developed into different languages; and if you cannot speak the language you have no chance of understanding anything - there are barriers and chasms that cannot be crossed by an outsider.  If I remember correctly Cedric Villani admitted he was able to comprehend rough ideas in only 20 percent of the papers - and this is a fields medallist! 

I have found some of the blogs maintained by maths academics particularly useful - perhaps try searching the blogosphere and when you find an academic in the right field just ask nicely for some help.  This exact approach worked for me on a different topic a few months ago; most academics will point you to basic learning books and advise how to progress in a subject.

Good Luck - and to get you going this is a very basic summary of Ngo's work The little lemma that could
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n