If Newton had SuperCalc, would we have Calculus?

• 3 Replies

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« on: 08/02/2011 03:57:01 »
A highly speculative question I admit, but if Newton had access to SuperCalc, or one of it's derivatives (hehe), like Excel, would he even have bothered to develop The Calculus?
« Last Edit: 08/02/2011 07:00:03 by Geezer »
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2011 13:15:14 »
He woudn't have written anything of mathematics or physics: he would have passed all his life trying to understand the Supercalc's functioning  [;)]
« Last Edit: 09/02/2011 16:25:44 by lightarrow »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2011 17:00:22 »
I am glad that Sir Isaac spent his time developing strange mathematical procedures and self-experimenting; if he had been a child of the 1970-80 his great intellect would have been devoted to separating me from my money in new and inventive ways. 
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2011 19:21:42 »
Don't you think he would have found it he** on wheels to find his place inside physics, considering his interest in the slightly 'unusual' :)

Alchemy I mean.

Wouldn't it been sweet if it actually had worked out. Wonder how society would look then? And physics :) All dressed in black robes mumbling incantation over different colored powders, turning levers and directing the rays of the sun. Yep, I think it would have been interesting, although no weirder than what we have as it is :)
"BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT. If you see me running, try to keep up."