Brian Cox -Wonders Of The Universe...are ewe enjoying it ?

• 9 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I have to say...I do like Proff Bri.....but I'm not finding this latest series captivating enough !.....

.....He spends far too much time standing on top of a mountain !

I want to see "Universe" stuff !!

whajafink ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2011 11:23:31 »
It's .... Okay....

Seems to be a fair bit of 'filler' to keep the, supposedly attention-deficit-disorder prone viewer from getting too bogged down in the 'boring' science.

I didn't think much of his description of Space-Time's topology (gravity wells) being like a mountain range.  But I always liked the 'heavy ball deforming a rubber membrane' analogy - even if it is not a perfect approximation.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2011 12:07:41 »
It's great pop-science.  Very few people with any previous engagement with astronomy will learn much more - but the glossiness of the production and the charisma of Prof B will get hoards of people watching who wouldn't normally dream of it.  I think my niece was converted by the first series - and that's gotta be good.  'Science is sexy' - is steaming BS, but more people need to be shown that science is magnificent, awe-inspiring, fun etc; and Brian Cox is very good at that.
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2011 12:39:07 »
It's .... Okay....

Seems to be a fair bit of 'filler' to keep the, supposedly attention-deficit-disorder prone viewer from getting too bogged down in the 'boring' science.

I didn't think much of his description of Space-Time's topology (gravity wells) being like a mountain range.  But I always liked the 'heavy ball deforming a rubber membrane' analogy - even if it is not a perfect approximation.

I agree totally about the ' gravity wells ' description......and found the pulsar piece appealing.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2011 12:42:20 »
It's great pop-science.  Very few people with any previous engagement with astronomy will learn much more - but the glossiness of the production and the charisma of Prof B will get hoards of people watching who wouldn't normally dream of it.  I think my niece was converted by the first series - and that's gotta be good.  'Science is sexy' - is steaming BS, but more people need to be shown that science is magnificent, awe-inspiring, fun etc; and Brian Cox is very good at that.

He does have a charm about him...and is certainly easy on the eye.......See john Culshaw do his impression http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hIicDK_R9Y

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2011 00:41:23 »
... is certainly easy on the eye

You should wear those solar-eclipse glasses if you plan to look at Brian's show-business teeth  [:)]

« Last Edit: 24/03/2011 00:57:08 by RD »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2011 11:17:07 »
I agree totally about the ' gravity wells ' description......and found the pulsar piece appealing.

True. I also meant to say I did like his narrative on what Entropy mean for the Universe - That was good!

Offline assimilated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2011 19:51:11 »
Its not a bad series but spoilt for me by his sometimes annoying Manchurian drawl.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/03/2011 20:27:09 »
... is certainly easy on the eye

You should wear those solar-eclipse glasses if you plan to look at Brian's show-business teeth  [:)]

D-ream on !!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/03/2011 21:07:40 »
... spoilt for me by his sometimes annoying Manchurian drawl.

I didn't know he was Chinese  [:)]
« Last Edit: 24/03/2011 21:09:36 by RD »