How Does Alcohol Affect The Fetus ?

• 3 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« on: 22/03/2011 11:55:33 »
I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and there was an article/chit chat/conversation regarding the nature of alcohol effects on the fetus...

...Preggy women are advised to not really have no more than a couple of units per week ! One unit being a small glass of wine...or half a pint of beer or one small measure of spirit.

Babies born to ladies with a history of high alcohol drinking usually are lighter, smaller and suffer from severe learning difficulties. In some cases there are even facial conditions/features, though they did not say what kind of conditions/features these are.

It was a very interesting article but one thing they missed out was ' what exactly does the alcohol do to the unborn fetus ? '...they talked about the consequences but did not explain why.

So, what exactly are the detrimental effects associated with alcohol intake, upon the fetus ?...what is biologically happening ?

Thanks

Neil
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2011 06:12:27 »
I have seen many children with these problems and was under the impression that it kind of stopped or hindered the brain development...as far as birth weight I am not are what happens...but I have seen the same with alcoholic their bodies especially lower
extremities become gangly looking emaciated lacking muscle tone etc. I wonder if it breaks down muscle because of its ability to rob the body of the proper nutritional needs..through the process of elimination through urine...etc.  Now that's my guess and I am no expert but perhaps someone with some medical facts will come confirm or correct my information....I too would like to know more.

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2011 10:49:53 »
Thanks Karen for your interest and thanks RD for the link.
Men are the same as women, just inside out !