Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?

• 5 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Darling,

This is a very difficult letter to write . I am writing to say that it's over between us.  It with with deep regret that I put pen to paper like this , but your need to introduce poultry and root vegetables into our relationship makes this a lamentable woe...For Heavens sake..I can barely walk this morning !!...

erhmm....AH !....TNS yes yes...not parchment and ink !!

Dearest Klevur peeps,

As a sheepy I just luff to microwave stuff all the time. It's all I think about really, be it a soup, a potato or even a cup of milk....Krazy eh ?........oh my !..the list is endless !!!

looky here !

It's a photo of my cup in a  microwave just moments ago !

[attachment=16066]

My Cup In A Microwave Just Moments Ago

Nice eh ?

After thirty seconds the cup was considerably hotter than it's contents !!

Why's that ?...Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?

Do ewe know ?

I don't !..that's why I'm asking !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwha mwah !

neil
TNS Is Not My Parchment And Ink !..DOH !!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/02/2012 16:49:26 »
It's not microwave proof.  Instead of being more or less transparent to microwaves (like it should be) and allowing the microwaves to get to the food - it is in fact absorbing the microwaves, heating up itself, and shielding the nourishing sheep-drink from the heat-giving waves.

It would prob get hot even if it had nothing in it!  I guess it could have lost some of its glaze and the porous ceramic has got water throughout it - or something similar.  Do not use it in a microwave again - if you give it too long a burst it could get really hot and shatter or burn the royal ovine lip.
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/02/2012 16:59:25 »
It's not microwave proof.  Instead of being more or less transparent to microwaves (like it should be) and allowing the microwaves to get to the food - it is in fact absorbing the microwaves, heating up itself, and shielding the nourishing sheep-drink from the heat-giving waves.

It would prob get hot even if it had nothing in it!  I guess it could have lost some of its glaze and the porous ceramic has got water throughout it - or something similar.  Do not use it in a microwave again - if you give it too long a burst it could get really hot and shatter or burn the royal ovine lip.

Thank ewe so very much for your ever so quick response imatfaal. I was going to mention that how could it get hot with no liquid inside it but ewe then further mention that it's a porosity issue.

Oh gosh !...I will be careful and thank ewe very much for your kind consideration with regard to my ovine lip...fortunately I have an official taster who suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous cuisine on my behalf !...phew !!...thank goodness for the working class proletariat !

Thanks again...I will immediately request a new mug that passes the microwave test !

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/02/2012 18:10:07 »
ive noticed the micrwave plastic containers dont heat up anywhere near as much  BUT if u capture the cups heat, it'll result in a differentized brewing schedule?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2012 17:37:11 »
ive noticed the micrwave plastic containers dont heat up anywhere near as much  BUT if u capture the cups heat, it'll result in a differentized brewing schedule?

Gosh CZARCAR..I'm not too sure I can handle a differentized brewing schedule...Do ewe think Google Calendar can help here ?  [::)]

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/03/2012 00:08:09 »

Gosh CZARCAR..I'm not too sure I can handle a differentized brewing schedule...Do ewe think Google Calendar can help here ?  [::)]
dunno, i'm a burro, not a sheepie BUT when i mycrowave my burritos & the plate comes out hot, I cover it with a pot lid so to let it steep?