Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)

• 20072 Replies

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #18000 on: 24/03/2013 21:55:02 »

How well (no pun) did the bupropion help you? Did you feel as good as you did when you tried the testosterone? (because I remember you were super excited, even though your good results were only short-lived sadly)

I dont remember ever feeling 100% on either of them.  But when you're used to feeling 20%, feeling 70% is awesome and gives you a ton of hope.
« Last Edit: 24/03/2013 21:58:18 by B_Daniel »
2-5 days, 80% cognitive, tongue-tied, brain fog, lose track of thoughts mid conversation, anxiety, dry eyes, irritable, fatigue.  Believer of both auto-immune AND regeneration theories.  My sessions are much shorter when I've gone 2 wks without.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18001 on: 24/03/2013 23:31:14 »
when you're used to feeling 20%, feeling 70% is awesome and gives you a ton of hope.
Definitely!

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18002 on: 25/03/2013 09:40:49 »
Hi, There is hope;

It's funny, I was just writing about dopamine in the other forum ; bellow is my though of the day thats are linked to yours

This research is amazing : http://www.reuniting.info/science/articles/acute_dopamine_depletion_causes_psychological_distress

Did not find a better match with POIS ; fatigue, anxiety, social disorder and cognitive impairment that come and goes back within days ;

Orgasm = Dopamine VS prolactin ; What if prolactin wins by KO because raise for 1 hour only(non detectable) to the sky ? How long would dopamine need to go back to it's initial level ?

My prolactin like others is high, we had several hyperprolactinemia here(even adenoma)

Junk food cause low dopamine, stress cause low dopamine(see the vicious circle here), SSRI are also involved in dopamine reuptake inhibition, work for while and make symtoms worse(my story), coffe also.

Dopamine and testosterone are friends ; both high are both low

Is anybody tried to boost dopamine : soft way is mucuna pruriens / less soft ways are levodopa are dopamine agonist like bromocriptine(Coreeman tried that apparently but kinda disappeared from the forum then) ?

The theory is not new in here : https://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/test-page/orgasm-induced-catecholamine-imbalance-via-pituitary-dysfunction

The levodopa from m.pruiens can cross the blood brain barrier, but apparently most of it converts to dopamine before it reaches the brain and dopamine isn't good to have in your body in higher than normal amounts since it increases heart rate(I've experienced this) and I think has some other bad effects. I did seem to get a barely noticeable cognitive boost, but now I think it's probably not worth it due to the increased heart rate. The thing that took me by surprise is that the increased heart rate took a week or so after supplementation to show up. Quite a delayed effect.

So I'm guessing it would be safer to supplement tyrosine + NADH or L-phenylalanine. Patients with parkinson's are given a decarboxylase inhibitor known as carbidopa with levodopa to prevent it from being converted to dopamine before entering the brain, but it is only available by prescription and probably has some nasty side effects. I read somewhere that green tea and coffee contain small amounts of a weak decarboxylase inhibitor which is why some say it is better to take m.pruriens with green tea, but I'm having trouble verifying that now. This topic is somewhat discussed at the following link: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/23668-boosting-dopamine-tyrosine-dlpa-or-mucuna-pruriens/

My doctor suggested to supplement N-Acetyl-Tyrosine in large doses plus small quantities of mucuna (L-DOPA), spread out 3 times per day. He thinks they're best absorbed taken together this way.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18003 on: 25/03/2013 10:35:12 »
Hi Urano,

I thought it was better to take amino acid the morning in an empty stomach. What kind of doc do you see ? I'm trying to find one who knows this kind of things. All the docs I consult didn't have a clue about all these works.The medecine here in France is based in what comercial labs provides ; There are kinda sponsored by GSK and co.I can't imagine being prescribed with Tyrosine or Mucuna

is somebody ever had its catecholamines tested ? Is it reliable ? Does it provide information about the bioavailable neurotransmitters in the brain ? I'm right getting a urine sample ready for the lab and I'll have  serum catecho tomorrow morning.I'll keep you informed.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18004 on: 25/03/2013 11:02:00 »
Hi Urano,

I thought it was better to take amino acid the morning in an empty stomach. What kind of doc do you see ? I'm trying to find one who knows this kind of things. All the docs I consult didn't have a clue about all these works.The medecine here in France is based in what comercial labs provides ; There are kinda sponsored by GSK and co.I can't imagine being prescribed with Tyrosine or Mucuna

is somebody ever had its catecholamines tested ? Is it reliable ? Does it provide information about the bioavailable neurotransmitters in the brain ? I'm right getting a urine sample ready for the lab and I'll have  serum catecho tomorrow morning.I'll keep you informed.

Aminoacids are always best absorbed if taken on empty stomach, not necessarily in the morning (it depends).
One of my reference doctors is based in US, and we work remotely with him. The hardest bit is to find the right supplements without ordering them from US. If order them from US they are systematically blocked at Italian customs (that's exactly what's happening now with mucuna). I bet you have the same problem in France. I order most of things from UK for this reason.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18005 on: 25/03/2013 11:17:22 »
I just mailled the conductor of this research :

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=177775 [nofollow]

I'm not expecting a miracle but who knows....

Below my mail :

Dear Doctor,

I've been experiencing for about 8 years strange symtoms and I would like to have your opinion.

I'm a French guy, 29 years old, perfectly healty. Right after an orgasms and for 3 to 7 days, i fell an intense fatigue, and very disturbing cognitives symtoms such as less fluency of speech, difficulty to find the right word, poor concentration,general brain fog, loss of motivation, need to sleep and anxiety.The symtoms are triggered by orgasm but also probably by stress and food.
When I go back to normal, I'm perfectly functioning persons. I explored many ways such as endocrine, psycho and all my blood test are well except prolactin serum wich is a bit over the range everytime I test it.
This condition is know as Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS) and was established by a Dutch professor, Mr Waldinger ; There is hundreds of persons that are complaining about the same syndrome.

I'm addressing to you today, because I read a paper about a research you conducted wich is I think very interesting :

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=177775 [nofollow]

It's interesting because what I feel is exactly what you describe as dopamine depletion except its not a experience and has been my life for years an about 2/7 days a week.

I'd like to know your opinion and if there is any possibility for you to help me/us (even with simple advices).

Thank you for your consideration,

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18006 on: 25/03/2013 16:24:06 »
I just checked on the other forum about Dopamine deficiency and obviously, it has been already some investigation without interesting results ; Sometimes POIS is very despairing...

Do we have here succes stories ? I guess people who are "cured" or enough to live normaly without the obsessive need to solve the problem do not come here to relate that they enjoy life...

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #18007 on: 25/03/2013 21:43:57 »
I have to add my very strongly explored failure with dopamine support/agonism.  I have had multiple issues with dopamine precursors making me worse.  I typically become nervous and agitated with minimal dosage.  I have to take a dopamine receptor blocker, or else I become edgy and ultimately psychotic.

I have also had the opportunity to try some dopamine agonists off-label, notably Mirapex, a drug to treat Parkinson's.  It made my brain fog worse, and didn't reduce POIS symptoms post orgasm.  I also went on Wellbutrin, but could barely stand it for the nervousness and agitation it produced.

I have some serious mental health challenges that I'm quite sure contribute to my difference of response.  I have multiple gene mutations that prevent the proper breakdown of dopamine, which may prevent me from taking any pro-dopamine drugs or supplements until I can (somehow) get my health back.

But I would be skeptical of dopamine being the panacea for POIS.  We should not forget that there are other ways to cause issues with brain functioning besides neurotransmitters. 

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18008 on: 26/03/2013 06:00:24 »
good post, Nightingale.  Just curious, how'd your doc determine that you have difficulty breaking down dopamine?  that was one of my doctor's (many) theories about me but we didn't know of a way to test it.
2-5 days, 80% cognitive, tongue-tied, brain fog, lose track of thoughts mid conversation, anxiety, dry eyes, irritable, fatigue.  Believer of both auto-immune AND regeneration theories.  My sessions are much shorter when I've gone 2 wks without.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18009 on: 26/03/2013 09:05:26 »
Here is an interesting study.http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/12/2282.full

Anemia  effects dopamine levels. When I had POIS I was anemic all the time.   

Anemia  could be caused by ;
1) iron  problem
2) copper problem
3)  vitamin B 12 problem
4) vitamin E
5) Manganese problem
6)B6 problem
7) zinc problem
8)  bleeding and worms(  Nathans   cure,     anti parasites, anti bleeding and  lecithin which helps  absorb iron)

First we look at hemo,   are we anemic,  or  close to anemic,  then we look at iron  and ferritin . If  ferritin  low,  then you are not absorbing  iron,  or taking some antagonists,  or  bleeding/   If  ferritin  high,  then you might miss copper or manganese or E.

I had low iron and high  ferritin ,  and  copper deficiency   and fast  thyroid because of it/  The minute  my breathing  started to improve the same moment  POIS was gone

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18010 on: 26/03/2013 09:13:29 »
Dopamine is made by converting phenylalanine to tyrosine to L-dopa to dopamine. It is inactivated by the enzymes MAO (copper dependent) and COMT (using methyl groups).

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18011 on: 26/03/2013 09:23:28 »
Here is an interesting study.http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/12/2282.full

Anemia  effects dopamine levels. When I had POIS I was anemic all the time.   

Anemia  could be caused by ;
1) iron  problem
2) copper problem
3)  vitamin B 12 problem
4) vitamin E
5) Manganese problem
6)B6 problem
7) zinc problem
8)  bleeding and worms(  Nathans   cure,     anti parasites, anti bleeding and  lecithin which helps  absorb iron)

First we look at hemo,   are we anemic,  or  close to anemic,  then we look at iron  and ferritin . If  ferritin  low,  then you are not absorbing  iron,  or taking some antagonists,  or  bleeding/   If  ferritin  high,  then you might miss copper or manganese or E.

I had low iron and high  ferritin ,  and  copper deficiency   and fast  thyroid because of it/  The minute  my breathing  started to improve the same moment  POIS was gone

I could add that very often hypothyroidism causes anemia, and viceversa anemia impairs thyroid function.
Poor adrenal function is also related to minerals imbalances, including iron.
People with low adrenal/thyroid function often have absorption issues, eg due to low stomach acid. This could be remedied with Apple Cider Vinegar, Betaine HCL, digestive enzymes.
Also, lack of iron doesn't allow thyroid hormones to be properly used at cellular level.
High ferritin is not necessarily caused by iron excess, but it could an indicator of inflammation, especially when serum iron /iron saturation% are otherwise normal or low. This can be confirmed by the presence of other inflammation indicators, like C-Reactive-Protein.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18012 on: 26/03/2013 11:29:39 »
I don't know how dopamine agonist works but as all inhibitor class medecine, (i)the effect is not immediate; (ii) there is important side effect, (iii)it can generate rebound effect regarding the mecanism itself and if POIS is created by a some kind of  dopamine rebound effect, it's not what we are looking for.
So i'm not certain, the Nightingale experience proof anything. Frankly, I think we don't understand 10% of all this things works and from my experience inhibitors drugs are garbage.

I still believe that dopamine is involved(I would say mostly) ; look at cognitive problem due to Parkinson, it's not permanent damage or decrease of intelectual faculty, people with Parkinson keep all their memory or cognitive ability, they just don't have acces to it as quick as usual. I feel exactly the same when I'm in POIS : everything is here, I just don't have a nice acces to it. I think it's not a coincidence that a lot of people here have ADHD.

I'll try for a month the soft cure to boost dopamine level :
-Sport(even if i'm a zombie)
-Avoid stress as much as possible
-Avoid junk food and sugar
-Tyrosine or tyrosine food like bananas and PS
-B3/B6/B12/C
-Iron/mag/zinc
-Omega 3
-Gingko
-Green tea
-Mucuna pruriens

I'll also avoid any O... activity for at least a month to see if there is any "reset" effect or "system rebalance" as suggested herman before.

This paper is interesting as all statements are explained by scientific papers
http://www.rlcure.com/dopaminer.html [nofollow]

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18013 on: 26/03/2013 15:37:10 »
I avoided O for 6 months because i had jaudice and not going away but after that i didnt get better,first weakness remained one day after that it changed to weak or 4,5 days

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18014 on: 26/03/2013 17:58:31 »
I avoided O for 6 months because i had jaudice and not going away but after that i didnt get better,first weakness remained one day after that it changed to weak or 4,5 days

OK, interesting ; Did you have POIS symtoms during this period of time ? What about noctural emission ?

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18015 on: 26/03/2013 18:00:22 »
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/neurosex.html [nofollow]

Do you guys know this article ? Ever tried oxytocin spray ? Ever experienced lessened symtoms with long romantic sexual intercourse ?

Offline thereishope

• View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: 27/03/2013 05:14:36 »
Very, very interesting article!

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18017 on: 27/03/2013 11:21:07 »

OK, interesting ; Did you have POIS symtoms during this period of time ? What about noctural emission ?
No i didnt had nocturnal emission and i was so weak to feel any other sypmtoms than jaundice...

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: 27/03/2013 15:54:19 »
good post, Nightingale.  Just curious, how'd your doc determine that you have difficulty breaking down dopamine?  that was one of my doctor's (many) theories about me but we didn't know of a way to test it.

Quite simply, I had a psychotic episode, and by default my doc at the time put me on the standard treatment: an atypical antipsychotic.  They act by blocking certain dopamine receptors in the brain thought to cause/contribute to psychosis and schizophrenia.  I responded to these drugs, and any time I have come off of them since my first episode, I returned to a psychotic state.

I have more evidence now to support the notion I have poor breakdown of dopamine, since I have 2 heterozygous COMT mutations.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: 27/03/2013 15:57:39 »
Hi Just now I came after 3rd appointment with the doctor.  My doctor has prescribed following medicines for the next last 15 days. 

a) Tablet Palsinuron 1-1-1 After food
b) Amla Juice - 30 ml of amla juice daily after wakeup with 30 ml of water.

This is to be taken only for next 15 days to get permanent relief of my symptoms.  Further, I can stop the strict diet which is followed for last month and now there is no restriction in food. 

He told that  POIS (they don't call in this name)is due to many reasons and cause is depending on person to person.  The reasons may  Excess Masturbation / Sex, Excess Weight, High Stress, Tension, nutritional imbalance, mineral imbalance, difference in hormones, physical weakness, weakness in Central Nervous System etc.  There is no exact cause known for POIS. 

Then I asked what is the reason for my POIS.  By seeing the my medical history, he told that I was taken Theo Asthalin for 4 years from 2004 to 2008.  The one of the side effect of this medicine is weakness in nervous system.  During this time, I had excess masturbation (may be it crossed one limit say daily 6 or 7) caused imbalance in my central nervous system.  My nervous system already interepted due to Theo Asthalin.  But my excessive masturbation take my CNS into a situtation of complete imbalance  and nuerotransmitter imbalance.  Due to this, my POIS symtoms started.  Further my POIS was continuos even though I stopped masturbation.  The cure for POIS for me is to balance the Central Nervous System which impaired. 

As per him, during the first appointment, he checked my pulse rate of my hand.  He found imbalance in it and suspected CNS imbalance.  Due to this to cure from this end, he prescribed Palsinuron for me.  Further, he also suspects problem in digestion system due to excess masturbation, to cure this he prescribed other medicines.  Further amla juice for detoxification of excess toxins in the body.  He also specifically mentions that for me major relief is from tab palsinuron and other medicines is prescribed is to ancilliary to cure other problems than POIS. 

He warned me to don't have excess SEX when I am
a) suffering from fever, illness, emotionally upset
b) having no sleep, Stress, Anxiery and Tenstion.

He told that if I had excess o (say 5 to 6 per day, when I am suffering from other illness, the chances of POIS reoccurence might be there.  So, he warned me to not to have more than 5 o when I am suffering from other illness. 

Further, he told to take palnusiron tablet for next last 15 days only.  Then there is no requirement to take. 

Further, I asked whether I am had thyroid problem during POIS period and his reply is No for this question and he repeated CNS and nuero transmitter. 

My next and may be final appointment is on April 15th.  Presently out of POIS and having around 5 o in a week.

I will update my status next on April 15th Night.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: 27/03/2013 16:01:08 »
Nightingale what is a psychotic episode, how are you acting, what are you feeling?

Offline GDRTW

• View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: 27/03/2013 17:19:16 »
After reading Nathans analysis and watching this amazing and scary documentary about electro-magnetic smog that is encompassing us everyday I have a suspicion that my EMS (electro-magnetic sensitivity) may have triggered my POIS. I did enduce myself to lots of frequent exposure to electro-magnetic wavefields without knowing the potential health hazards. Magnetic wavefields can wreak havoc with one's central nervous system and both of my conditions arriveded at basically the same time (when I was around 18). I am not saying we all have EMS of course but I am just putting it out there as a potential 'coal in the fire' for my issues. By the way. ..if you think having POIS is bad then try having POIS and EMS. Jeez. Anyway...this is a link for the doc called 'Resonance - Beings of Frequency'.  It was made this year with all the latest in research development and truths concerning our over exposure to radiowaves. A little off the beaten track but seriously...
newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrhk4qZFoF4 [nonactive]

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: 27/03/2013 19:04:44 »
After reading Nathans analysis and watching this amazing and scary documentary about electro-magnetic smog that is encompassing us everyday I have a suspicion that my EMS (electro-magnetic sensitivity) may have triggered my POIS. I did enduce myself to lots of frequent exposure to electro-magnetic wavefields without knowing the potential health hazards. Magnetic wavefields can wreak havoc with one's central nervous system and both of my conditions arriveded at basically the same time (when I was around 18). I am not saying we all have EMS of course but I am just putting it out there as a potential 'coal in the fire' for my issues. By the way. ..if you think having POIS is bad then try having POIS and EMS. Jeez. Anyway...this is a link for the doc called 'Resonance - Beings of Frequency'.  It was made this year with all the latest in research development and truths concerning our over exposure to radiowaves. A little off the beaten track but seriously...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrhk4qZFoF4

Good point. I've bought an EMF meter to scan my house (it's OK), thrown away the cordless phone, kept the WI-FI turned off  most of the time, and I use the mobile phone with headphones. Not something to be obsessed about, nonetheless probably something to consider when many things have been tried and one still feels sick.

See also http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PktaaxPl7RI

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: 28/03/2013 13:23:48 »
LAPOISSE, if you do try mucuna pruriens be careful with it especially if you have any heart conditions. I've been taking 350mg capsules and it seems if I take one a day for about 4 days I'll get a faster stronger heartbeat that begins about a week later and lasts for another week. A safer option is probably to take tyrosine, which your body then converts to levodopa as this will prevent levodopa overdose.
« Last Edit: 28/03/2013 13:28:52 by Vincent M »
Taking fenugreek+tea/garlic, saw palmetto, huperzine, niacin, boswellia, and nutmeg.

Offline poised

• View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: 29/03/2013 13:40:18 »
I have constant POIS, it just gets worse after O.
From my observations, I have an idea that the cause of POIS is some autoimmune or allergic reaction. I have noticed  that for me the more semen contacts penis during ejaculation, the more severe POIS gets after.
Any ideas whether it is possible that an allergy/autoimmune could cause POIS for me to be constant? Or an allergy should disappear after some time?

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: 29/03/2013 14:32:39 »
I have constant POIS, it just gets worse after O.
From my observations, I have an idea that the cause of POIS is some autoimmune or allergic reaction. I have noticed  that for me the more semen contacts penis during ejaculation, the more severe POIS gets after.
Any ideas whether it is possible that an allergy/autoimmune could cause POIS for me to be constant? Or an allergy should disappear after some time?

Actually each time I read "costant POIS" I think it's a contradiction in terms. As a long time sufferer of Chronic Fatigue/depression/hypothyroidism/adrenal fatigue/recurring infections and related conditions, I know what it means being constantly sick. In cases like mine sex only makes worse already existing conditions and lets events precipitate.
Unless one normally feels great, and suddenly gets sick only after sex, to eventually fully recover, I'm reluctant to believe to semen allergy and similar. There might be cases like these, but I suspect they're not the majority. Just my two cents.

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: 29/03/2013 15:38:25 »
Its been quite a while since last visiting this site. I was wondering if any clear cut answers have come in regard to this awful, disease?
What ever became of Dr Waldingers assessment and protocol for treatment?
I did have my Dr read Dr Waldingers abstract/treatment. He was very skeptical and would not try his treatment with me, of desensitizing my allery to my own semen by frequent, small injections. Additionally, Dr Waldinger never followed up with me as he stated he would send out a questionaire.

FYI-I am a 15 yr sufferer, I currently am on injectable Testosterone, 2x a week. My T level is great, but sadly it does nothing to stop POIS after O, so i am pretty much living a celibate life. I miss O, but the horrible 2 weeks afterward are NOT worth it.
I believe in my heart this problem is an immune/nervous system disorder at its core.
Any comments would be appreciated, Thank you.

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: 29/03/2013 16:45:11 »
i genrally am normal but severly weak after ejaculation.so no constant for me

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: 29/03/2013 16:47:31 »
idk about others but recently my ecg revealed that my hearth has some problem too.some connection with pois.deifferrent walls sending blood at different pressure

Offline icefloe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: 30/03/2013 11:39:35 »
Hi,

I have  chronic Lyme disease and I think that cause my POIS.  Nature's Antibiotic (example Carlic,  Olive Leaf
Extract ) usually will help with POIS symptoms. Is there anyone tested mycoplasma fermentans what is one co-infection with Lyme. POIS-people are borne with   low immune system and after ejaculation your body is under attack by different bacterias and viruses.  When you get older then all is getting worse.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18030 on: 30/03/2013 12:41:15 »
Hi,

I have  chronic Lyme disease and I think that cause my POIS.  Nature's Antibiotic (example Carlic,  Olive Leaf
Extract ) usually will help with POIS symptoms. Is there anyone tested mycoplasma fermentans what is one co-infection with Lyme. POIS-people are borne with   low immune system and after ejaculation your body is under attack by different bacterias and viruses.  When you get older then all is getting worse.

Welcome Icefloe.
My condition resembles to yours: weak immune system and high susceptibility to viral infections, especially after orgasm. It's been like this for years, possibly decades.
I don't think I have Lyme, but it seems I am positive to CMV (Cytomegalovirus, herpes-like virus like EBV) which likely undermines my immune system, opens the way to other bugs and keeps my adrenals low. I am working to deactivate, if not eradicate CMV.
It gets worse as you age only if the underlying issues are not addressed, which it might not be easy for people with chronic or even life-time issues because you must first become aware that you are sick, then you must know what the problems are, and finally you must find a way to solve them.
Good luck.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: 30/03/2013 15:28:22 »
Interesting. There's a family of autoimmune diseases called Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome (PAS / PGAS) that are rare, show symptoms of multiple disorders including fungal infections, general evidence of weakened immune, hypogonadism (with low Testosterone), myaesthenia gravis causing vision disturbances, chronic fatigue etc.

I looked up my AIRE genes on 23andme and found that I had quite a few mutations in the SNP's 23andme test for. It's unclear what this means but there may be a connection between AIRE mutations and PGAS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_regulator

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: 30/03/2013 17:53:24 »
LAPOISSE, if you do try mucuna pruriens be careful with it especially if you have any heart conditions. I've been taking 350mg capsules and it seems if I take one a day for about 4 days I'll get a faster stronger heartbeat that begins about a week later and lasts for another week. A safer option is probably to take tyrosine, which your body then converts to levodopa as this will prevent levodopa overdose.

Thank you Vicent M for your advice. I just received my mucuna pruriens 400mg with 15% of L-Dopa ; the daily dose is suposed to be 5 caps but I'll start with 1 just to be safe.
I did try Tyrosine but I didn't notice anyhelp apart being more tanned....The Idea with mucuna is to skip one step of the conversion ; Apparently having dopamine directly usable in the brain is much more complicated(see levodopa drugs for parkinson) but I need to try that anyway.
I also received PS 100 and krill oil.
I'm taking 100mg B6 and 1g B12 a day and I do a lot of sport ; it's been a week a so far I feel much better than usual

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: 31/03/2013 13:07:00 »
Interesting, last night I was at a party and I ended up drinking about 5 or 6 caffeinated beverages, which made me really hyper by the way, over the span of about 4 hours. I also tried the niacin again (about 600mg). It gave me only a little bit of a flush.  About an hour later I had 3 orgasms, which normally would cause me severe pois right away. Well, because of all the caffeine I ended up staying up pretty much all night. But, oddly I felt (and still feel now) really, really good mentally. I feel like my thinking is way clearer. Not sure why this is and I don't recommend it, as lack of sleep and high caffeine are obviously unhealthy. And I surely won't do this all the time 'cause I need my sleep! But it's just kinda interesting and a very rare moment with less severe pois post multiple orgasms. Anyway just wanted to post that mainly for it to be archived here because I think it's important to post when something weird reduces symptoms so any future researcher reading through will have as much data as poss. Have a good weekend and hopefully in the near future we'll finally get our cure *fingers crossed*.

Note: I was inspired to try the niacin again from Egordon's posts in the other forum. He mentions not to give up on it and also that he is being helped a lot by desens and NSAIDs (something I want to try sometime). His posts have also rekindled my interest in the semen allergy theory.
« Last Edit: 31/03/2013 13:09:24 by Prancer »

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: 02/04/2013 00:38:05 »
anyone else here have Sinus problems? Like a dry stuffy nose (perhaps one-sided)

Offline Over it

• View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: 02/04/2013 10:24:28 »
anyone else here have Sinus problems? Like a dry stuffy nose (perhaps one-sided)
Yes, I do. Gets worse with POIS & goes away when POIS goes away. Blood in the dry mucous when pois is bad as well.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: 03/04/2013 18:06:58 »
One of my nostrils always feels clogged and it shifts to the other nostril about once a day. I didn't have that problem during the month my pois seemed cured.
Taking fenugreek+tea/garlic, saw palmetto, huperzine, niacin, boswellia, and nutmeg.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: 04/04/2013 19:07:16 »

sinusitis, both nostrils.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: 05/04/2013 22:06:21 »
Dear friends,

Just  wanted to  add some info here, you might use.  As you know I  have informed you that  POIS depends on  the work of  your glands.   All other cures  are just  cover ups and wont  solve anything.  Adrenals and thyroid  are the  issue here.   Adrenals and thyroid  regulate  your  neurotrasmitters .  The POIS ratios are  sodium potassium  ,  electric ratio ,   dopamine serotonin, and  mainly I think   acetylcholine/  gaba  ratio.   As  Daniel  mentioned   he had  symptoms alike to those of post marijuana use.  Well  that is  definetely   acetylcholine  issue then.  If you have  overactive  adrenals, you might  miss acetylcholine  since   B5 is used to support the production and in  overactive adrenals  B5 is missing.   If you have low thyroid,  then you  are low on  zinc and  that is  needed for GABA regulation.    Basically  you can try   2 -3 things,      zinc B6  for gaba problems,    B5  and choline   for acetylcholine problems.     But mainly  you need to adjust your glands.   

It is not  that easy to  regulate  your glands,  since   lets say  if you  have  overactive adrenals, you are  missing B5 ,  and POIS will be gone on B5, but   you will have anxiety  on B5 , since it will speed up your  adrenals even more.   So basically you have to  speed up your thyroid first in this case to  lower your adrenals, but it will take time.     

Vincent M,   since you mentioned that you have   crazy  sex urge,  that means that your DHT levels are insane,  and  you have low thyroid ,  and   you are missing zinc.   Zinc will  slow you down   but   will  make you stronger.   Your problem is  too much acetylcholine and  little gaba.   

Good luck guys.   POIS is not the problem to get rid of,  the problem is  to get rid of  your  initial  problem,  POIS is secondary to the  original problem.

I think  this route is used for sexual exhaustion  for  years already , and everyone knows that   HPA axis gets  affected and  many doctors   succesfully cure this thing.  POIS is exactly that.   and I dont know  why  someone researches it at all to be honest.  Dr. Richards , Dr Lin,  all  hair analysis people   like  Wilson ,  Watts,  ARL , and  gazzillion  of other people will balance you no problem. I would balance you  too, but  I dont have much time now.  I  am dealing with a few   on this forum  and you will see the results /   

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #18039 on: 06/04/2013 04:06:34 »
Wanted to let you guys know 2 interesting things:

1) My stomach has become very bloated, gassy, and painful, and the onset of these symptoms came with much worse brain function.  I have found that ibuprophen treats BOTH all the stomach issues and the brain function issues.  I am taking prescription strength ibuprophen for now

2) After discovering that ibuprophen treats my stomach and cognitive issues, a few weeks later allergy season started and I returned to BOTH stomach and brain function problems.  So I began my antihistamine, and saw improvement in BOTH categories again.

Now with both antihistamines and ibuprophen, I am definitely higher functioning than I was pre- stomach issues.

Lastly, I have just begun taking Gastrocrom, a mast cell stabilizer to see if I can gain some benefits in terms of inflammation and immune dysfunction.  I have stayed away from methylation supplements for some time, I just can't seem to tolerate them.  Hopefully this helps

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: 07/04/2013 22:10:30 »
This is the reason  why Niacin  helped some here.

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/tryptophan_niacin_protect_against_alzhei/

Niacin same as nicotin  inhibits   the destruction of  acetylcholine.  That is why  when I quite smoking I got my POIS.   
Read my previous message. I bet your POIS will be gone quickly.  As a note ,  choline and anything that  increases  acetylcholine  lowers blood pressure, so  for those  who are  low on blood pressure,  take it with B5.  For those with high  blood pressure can take it alone/

Good luck

Offline thereishope

• View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: 08/04/2013 21:30:03 »
Long story short,

I am convinced that POIS causes inflammation and therefore with inflammation comes inflammation in the brain, hence the cognitive symptoms. You guys have to understand that brain inflammation affects the amygdala, which means it messes with our emotional system. This is why anti-inflammatory medication such as non-steroidical-anti-inflammatory-drugs AKA Advil or CELEBREX (for beginners) AKA NSAIDS work well. My assumption is that niacin works similar to NSAIDS. Something I noticed when I started taking niacin a few days before my O that I had last night is that when I took niacin, of course I had mild flush symptoms but I also "felt my brain more" and actually experienced a feeling of more blood flow going to my brain which is a really good sign.

At this point, I am also convinced that our disorder is identical to Celiac AKD Gluten allergy.
People with this kind of allergy undergo identical symptoms to POIS and of course the only way to prevent the reactions is by abstaining by food of wheat, barley and etc..
After researching a little more about Celiac disease, they have found that there is a type of "cytokine" named Interleukin-15 that created the inflammatory response and therefore they are currently in the process of developing a medication that would essentially block Interleukin-15 and therefore people with Celiac will no longer experience these symptoms. I stongly believe that this medication can help us too.

If you guys want to look in to this a little more these are some things you can search for:

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms
Brain inflammation symptoms

I would be more that happy to hear your thoughts!

Good day gentlemen, stay strong :)
« Last Edit: 08/04/2013 21:31:53 by thereishope »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: 08/04/2013 23:11:47 »
Anything that raises cortisol fights inflammation.   As I mentioned/   What is there to develop.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: 09/04/2013 06:10:53 »
Over at FeelAlike, a few of us were talking about our ceruloplasmin levels.  Of the three of us that had it tested, our levels were 12, 18, and 21  (the reference range is 20-60).

Herman, between this forum and the russian forum, there must've been at least another 5+ ppl that have had their ceruloplasmin tested and provided you.  Can you tell us what % of people have low ceruloplasmin?

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: 09/04/2013 09:36:09 »
Daniel ,

I have quite a few tests,   I would say over 90% of them have low ceruloplasmin  levels.   Ceruloplasmin levels could be low because of frank copper deficiency or   copper toxicity  like Wilsons.  Weak adrenals are the cause  of this mostly.   Сeruloplasmin  is involved with iron  metabolism and that is why  copper deficiency or bioavailability   leads to anemia, that most people  have here.    I found that  regulating  3 minerals   copper zinc and  manganese   takes care of this problem.  if you have high ferritin and low iron in your blood ,  it means that you might miss copper and manganese to utilize it and you will get POIS from  basically anemia since during stress  copper is used  greatly ( orgasm).  So  when you orgasm  your  hemoglobin  levels  go down since your iron and copper are low as it is.   If you  have  low ferritin  , it could mean that you are copper toxic and  your adrenals are  shut and that way  you  still have low copper available for  hemoglobin.   It does not matter how you  twist it,  most of the POIS is about   manganese copper zinc iron balance.  All other stuff like methylation ,  acetylcholines gabas and dopamine  serotonin all depend on these metals.  Also  all 4  metals are needed for the thyroid  gland and its proper functioning.   Most doctors  look at the thyroid  tests and see nothing there. I dont want to even argue  with someone about it, since I  personally experienced the difference  from low thryroid high thyroid and  normal thyroid, while   the tests were all in  normal ranges. But my condition changed so much  it is not even funny.  So doctors  should really reconsider on how  they look at the tests for people with thyroid problems.  TSH of 3 is way way  way too high.

Anyway , I hope this helps.    As a note, I want to add that  nowadays   copper toxicity  thing is  very very popular thing and  people  go on  these  detox adventures  . Many sites bs the same thing over and over again , about how  copper is not used and how it is not bound and stuff like that. Personally I think  copper deficiency is  more common than toxicity especially in men. All these bs artists take their info from 2-3 sources on the web.   I am sure that  no one  opened people up and found copper deposited all over organs . Actually I  read quiet a few studies where they opened people up and  found  low copper in  heart and  lungs and  stomach which  caused death.    I think iron is  everywhere now, almost in all the foods that people eat,    cadmium is  in ciggaretes , zinc  is all over the place. No wonder  there is no copper.   But iron  chelates   all 3 of them  manganese copper and zinc.  I think most people have low available levels of these metals.   Hey  in Russia  there is bucкwheat and  all  cancer patients  seem to do really well on buckwheat diet.  WHY?     answer is simple,  buckwheat is full of manganese zinc and copper.   HIV studies also show that  HIV gets undercontrol  with  manganese  zinc and copper supplements.   SOD  works on these 3 also. 

So Daniel , to be healthy  you need to have   proper balance between these  and also  they need to be in  enough  quantities for your enzymes.   
Hairloss people,   manganese and copper and zinc will restore  your hair.  There is a study I read that found that  in all hair loss cases manganese deficiency presented in all 100% cases. Plus zinc plus copper.  Manganese  for instance  helps biotin  metabolism and vitamin E metabolism. Which is crucial for hair.

Good luck.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18045 on: 09/04/2013 11:49:39 »
Long story short,

I am convinced that POIS causes inflammation and therefore with inflammation comes inflammation in the brain, hence the cognitive symptoms. You guys have to understand that brain inflammation affects the amygdala, which means it messes with our emotional system. This is why anti-inflammatory medication such as non-steroidical-anti-inflammatory-drugs AKA Advil or CELEBREX (for beginners) AKA NSAIDS work well. My assumption is that niacin works similar to NSAIDS. Something I noticed when I started taking niacin a few days before my O that I had last night is that when I took niacin, of course I had mild flush symptoms but I also "felt my brain more" and actually experienced a feeling of more blood flow going to my brain which is a really good sign.

At this point, I am also convinced that our disorder is identical to Celiac AKD Gluten allergy.
People with this kind of allergy undergo identical symptoms to POIS and of course the only way to prevent the reactions is by abstaining by food of wheat, barley and etc..
After researching a little more about Celiac disease, they have found that there is a type of "cytokine" named Interleukin-15 that created the inflammatory response and therefore they are currently in the process of developing a medication that would essentially block Interleukin-15 and therefore people with Celiac will no longer experience these symptoms. I stongly believe that this medication can help us too.

If you guys want to look in to this a little more these are some things you can search for:

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

Interesting...Indeed, there is connection with brain fog ; Anyone ever tried gluten free diet with improvment ? What could be the connection with O ?
Anyways I'm 100% sure my POIS in inflammation related ; The problem is with Nsaids,is would burn my stomach to solve a intestin problem...

Offline Erik

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: 09/04/2013 18:43:36 »

Hello to all,

'm from Germany and have to use because of my poor English the translator.
This is my first post, I have been following the forum but a long time.
Have especially back pain and some psychological symptoms, including sleep disturbances after orgasm.
I inquire after many years in power and the conviction that triggers an inflammation, histamine and prostaglandins are released. This is due to an autoimmune disease or allergy. The immune system tries to fix this inflammation and consumed raw materials as the amino acid kynurenine.
These key ingredients are also used for production of hormones and neurotransmitters. So there is always a shortage of hormones and neurotransmitters such as serotonin, so the symptoms.
've Tried all kinds of drugs: painkillers, Entzündunshemmer, antidepressants, vitamins and more. Nothing has helped has become even worse. The only help you practice the orgasm as seldom as possible, which is not easy.

Greetings to all

Offline thereishope

• View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: 09/04/2013 20:44:43 »
Long story short,

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

Interesting...Indeed, there is connection with brain fog ; Anyone ever tried gluten free diet with improvment ? What could be the connection with O ?
Anyways I'm 100% sure my POIS in inflammation related ; The problem is with Nsaids,is would burn my stomach to solve a intestin problem...

Hey LAPOISSE2,

In my post I am not suggesting that we should eat no gluten related foods; all I am suggesting is that our disorder is identical to gluten allergy AKA Celiac disease.

The only difference between POIS and Celiac is the cause of the disorder; while us its orgasm that causes inflmattion in the brain, for Celiac its gluten that causes the inflammation. So by all means don't waste your time trying to have a gluten free diet because you will have no results!

Thank you for acknowledging my post!

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: 09/04/2013 22:28:10 »
Long story short,

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

I've been gluten free for 1.5 years, and gluten-casein free for 6 months. It didn't really help with post-sex symptoms, probably didn't help much with adrenal/thyroid issues, and caused me a lot of stress. Now I consume gluten with moderation, and goat/sheep casein. I'm not celiac, but so many say it damages intestinal walls and villi that I prefer being cautious. Some say that a leaky gut is the source of autoimmune diseases, and one of the causes of chronic inflammation.
The problem with gluten/casein sensitivity (not celiac disease) is that a fully reliable test does not exist, so one could try a 30 days challenge completely gluten/casein free and see how it goes. Cutting all grains at this stage can be useful too (yes, you will survive). Then reintroduce them one by one and see the reactions.
Inflammatory indicators are high CRP, high ferritin with low serum iron,...
Inflammation can be kept under control limiting sugars, eating moderate amounts of the right carbs (insulin control), using fish/krill oil or curcumin, fixing adrenals/thyroid to name few ways. Prescription drugs can't be a viable long-term solution, in my view, because of the side effects, and because they won't address the root cause anyway, while just suppressing the symptoms.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: 10/04/2013 04:55:57 »
Hi Erik - we're thrilled to have you as a contributor, thanks for writing.

I agree that my POIS likely has an auto-immune component.  When I take advil / ibuprofen, I typically get a few hours of increased mood and more fluid thought.  This was such a big breakthrough for me last year, that I asked to be put on a 24-hour NSAID.  I felt better the 1st day, but after that I returned to my same groggy state. 

So auto-immune does play a role with me, I just don't believe it plays a large role.  I also had my total IgE levels tested and was within the reference range for whatever that counts for. 

Part of Herman's theory is that some of us with 'pois' (Herman doesn't recognize pois so I put it in quotes) are in an inflammatory state and the rest of us are in an infection state.  To me, there seems to be some validity to that argument.  If we took a poll, I bet you many people here would identify with one or the other, and not many to both. 

In the same vein, I think it'd be interesting to split the forum up into an infection group and an inflammation group.  I have a feeling that we'd see some trends surface of similar symptoms and successful treatments within the respective groups .