Water Of The Earth.....Is it Constant or Changing in Quantity ?

• 3 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hello,

(Small Talk Mode).....How are you ?..I'm fine  !..a bit tired..hope you're well !!

Is the amount of water in/on the Earth changing in quantity at all ?

At one point there was none yes ?...now we have icy places...liquidy places and gassy places too !!

Does any evaporate out to space ?...if so ...is there a mechanism which replaces it ?

whajafink ?
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
This is actually more of a planetary science/astronomy question.  I believe that most of the water came from outer space, in the form of meteors and comets.

Dick

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Correctamundo, Dr.D. - There are enough icy meteorites falling into (or hitting, however you wish to word it) to raise sea level about an inch a year.

I know I read this on the NASA site (100% sure)and I think I also recall a reference to it in an article on the rates of sediment formation in (I think) the Journal of Sedimentary Petrology (10-15% sure)??? but my memory is full of holes.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
So are you asking, when it evaporates here does it go further up into the atmosphere then just the clouds?

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."