name that strange beetle

• 12 Replies

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« on: 03/06/2007 23:59:10 »
i saw a bug today that looked like a beetle but i have never seen one that looks like this... it was a east little guy too, i couldn't get a picture. it had a red head but his body was black and white striped.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2007 00:01:14 »
i meant fast not east

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2007 10:50:56 »
"RINGO" LOL.. sorry I couldn't resist!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2007 11:01:54 »
Hi Kadie I think this is what you mean!

A close-up of Colorado Potato Beetles (Chrysomelidae)

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #4 on: 04/06/2007 13:18:00 »
If they are Colorado beetles, we had an outbreak of them in the UK in the 70'S and it was BAD NEWS! Are they a nuisance there too?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2007 13:21:24 »
i can't see the picture. lol. this was the first one i've ever seen. he looked like an angry umpire. lol. seriously i couldn't believe what i was seeing. it looked like a cartoon

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #6 on: 04/06/2007 16:20:16 »
Karen - that was my 1st thought too.

Angry umpire - I like that!  [:D]
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #7 on: 04/06/2007 16:25:33 »
If they are Colorado beetles, we had an outbreak of them in the UK in the 70'S and it was BAD NEWS! Are they a nuisance there too?
I don't know much about them and have just bumped into them in books That I have read to th e kids at school, therefore felt it passible that it may have been the one kadie was speaking of!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #8 on: 05/06/2007 00:19:52 »
so how big a problem are these bugs? what do they do? and if i saw one, does that mean there are a lot around here somewhere?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #9 on: 05/06/2007 01:23:39 »
I'll do some research and see. Give me a day or two though!

Offline eric l

• View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/2007 16:51:09 »
so how big a problem are these bugs? what do they do? and if i saw one, does that mean there are a lot around here somewhere?
  • The bugs themselves do not do as much harm as the larvae :  these feed from the leaves of the potato plant.
  • The bugs lay their eggs on the downside of the leaves.  You can treat by spraying with a solution of soap (and I mean soap, not just any detergent) spraying upwards so that you are sure to treat the downside of the leaves.
  • If you see one, you can be sure there are a lot of them around, at least if you have more potatoes in the garden or field.

"Wonder is no wonder" (Simon Stevin 1548-1620)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #11 on: 08/06/2007 17:06:30 »
thanks. luckily i have no potato plants!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
name that strange beetle
« Reply #12 on: 08/06/2007 18:06:13 »
  • The bugs themselves do not do as much harm as the larvae :  these feed from the leaves of the potato plant.
  • The bugs lay their eggs on the downside of the leaves.  You can treat by spraying with a solution of soap (and I mean soap, not just any detergent) spraying upwards so that you are sure to treat the downside of the leaves.
  • If you see one, you can be sure there are a lot of them around, at least if you have more potatoes in the garden or field.

Thanks Eric, I knew nothing about them, but those are interesting facts!