How many, and what of?

• 3 Replies

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
How many, and what of?
« on: 16/06/2007 10:55:12 »
Hey, Ive been wondering if i could turn my central nervous system off. I knew we felt pain because of our nerves and that paracetamol deadens the nerves in our body so we don't feel headaches or whatever. But if i take too much paracetamol, ill die. So i thought, the brain, could someone turn the central nervous system off via my brain? I know that if we go into so much pain and shock from a fall or something very painful, then our body turns our nervous system off..so could i do it to myself?

thanks

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
How many, and what of?
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2007 11:25:30 »
Without permanently damaging you self.. sounds a bit scary to me, but I am not a doctor.. perhaps someone else might know!

When one has a spinal block is that done with anesthesia into the spine or by crimping it or what?

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
How many, and what of?
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2007 13:14:39 »
The brain and spinal cord are the central nervous system. If you turned them off, you'd be comatose, if not dead. Pain killers work because they target/block pain reception and perception, without (seriously) affecting consciousness.

Why do pain killers have so many side effects, and why can overdoses cause death?
« Last Edit: 16/06/2007 15:16:16 by _Stefan_ »
Stefan
"No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish." -David Hume

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How many, and what of?
« Reply #3 on: 16/06/2007 13:25:09 »
Hey, Ive been wondering if i could turn my central nervous system off. I knew we felt pain because of our nerves and that paracetamol deadens the nerves in our body so we don't feel headaches or whatever. But if i take too much paracetamol, ill die. So i thought, the brain, could someone turn the central nervous system off via my brain? I know that if we go into so much pain and shock from a fall or something very painful, then our body turns our nervous system off..so could i do it to myself?

thanks

To avoid untreatable pain after major trauma, burns etc,
lucky humans who reach a hospital are placed in a so called
"pharmacologic comatous state" by drugs and intubated to
keep breathing through a mechanic ventilator, a sort of
automatic air/oxygen pump.

ikod

P.S.
Comatous condition has been discussed in another topic years ago:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=473.0
« Last Edit: 23/06/2007 11:00:24 by iko »