Is anywhere permanently temperate?

• 4 Replies

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« on: 06/08/2007 19:34:52 »
There are places on the earth that are always & places that are always . Is there anywhere on the earth where the temperature remains constantly temperate (say 15-18C)?

I think not, due to the earth's inclination so that areas where the temperature is sometimes in that range get hotter or colder as the earth travels around the sun; but I'd just like confirmation.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2007 19:41:22 »
My folks told me that parts of Kenya (where they used to live) had a climate that was "perpetual spring".
It's tropical so it's the same all year but it's at high altitude so it's not too hot.
Somewhere halfway up Kilimanjaro perhaps?
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2007 20:00:44 »
My folks told me that parts of Kenya (where they used to live) had a climate that was "perpetual spring".
It's tropical so it's the same all year but it's at high altitude so it's not too hot.
Somewhere halfway up Kilimanjaro perhaps?

I should have said "anywhere habitable" as that was what I meant.

I've been to most parts of Kenya and the nearest to "perpetual spring" I found was in the west near Lake Vic - Kisumu, Kisii and places like that. It's where most of the tea plantations are. But even there the temperature averages 22-25C.

As for halfway up Kili - hmmm, possibly; but not particularly habitable.

How about somewhere in northern South America in the Andes foothills (northern Chile, Peru, Bolivia)? I would imagine there are valleys there that are temperate and being close to the equator, the temperature probably wouldn't vary that much.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 07/08/2007 03:53:09 »
As you say, the tilt of the Earth means that most places will have significant variability of solar input between winter and summer.

I would have thought the only way you can have significantly more stable temperatures would be somewhere where the local temperature is heavily stabilised by local seas/ocean.  Since the dominant weather tends to come from the west, thus it would have to be a coastal region that is exposed to oceans from the west.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2007 04:53:21 »
As you say, the tilt of the Earth means that most places will have significant variability of solar input between winter and summer.

I would have thought the only way you can have significantly more stable temperatures would be somewhere where the local temperature is heavily stabilised by local seas/ocean.  Since the dominant weather tends to come from the west, thus it would have to be a coastal region that is exposed to oceans from the west.

Wales?