Any Alternative (soonish) to Inflatable Tyres ?

• 7 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« on: 02/09/2007 18:56:33 »
Hi Peeps,

This is me holding some tyres:

[attachment=603]

Sorry, it was a bad day and ewe just have to take me as I am !!

What i'd like to know is do you think there will ever be an alternative to an air filled tyre ?.......do ewe know of any development researching this ?

Are they good reasons why no alternative exists ?

I do know there have been solid tyres...but I am referring to something like a foam or something else solid-but-light inside, that is puncture resistant !

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline paulthree

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge Rich
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2007 21:59:14 »
There are various foams and mooses on the market which can be used to quickly and temporarily repair punctures - They are often used in motor racing, particularly rallying, where the tyre is filled automatically if a puncture is detected - Somewhat like the expanding foam used in the building trade to fill large gaps in walls etc, but more flexible.
newbielink:http://www.knowledgerich.com [nonactive]
Connecting businesses with a technical challenge to a network of experts in leading universities.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2007 03:19:55 »
I believe both the US and British armies use tyres (note the deference to your country of origin) that are solid on their wheeled armored vehicles. Someone should know about that. I don't.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2007 04:02:13 »
I believe both the US and British armies use tyres (note the deference to your country of origin) that are solid on their wheeled armored vehicles. Someone should know about that. I don't.

I might be wrong, but I did not think this was the case - rather they used tyres with very low pressures (thus spreading the load better - giving better grip on soft terrain, at the expense of greater rolling resistance). 

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4277/
Special run-flat tires with central tire inflation offer the crew added mobility when under fire.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2007 14:04:52 »
THANK YOU ALL for your kind replies.

I assume though...that although alternatives do exist that they are simply not viable/durable/safe/economical for every day use on your car and mine...and bikes and bicycles ?
« Last Edit: 11/09/2007 19:20:30 by neilep »
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2007 18:44:42 »
Hi Peeps,

This is me holding some tyres:

[attachment=603]

Sorry, it was a bad day and ewe just have to take me as I am !!

What i'd like to know is do you think there will ever be an alternative to an air filled tyre ?.......do ewe know of any development researching this ?

Are they good reasons why no alternative exists ?

I do know there have been solid tyres...but I am referring to something like a foam or something else solid-but-light inside, that is puncture resistant !

whooooowhoooo! Well now you best be leaving your address so as I can come visit you you handsome hunk you!! LOL.....HEE HEE HEE..YEE HAW!!!!!!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/09/2007 07:25:36 »
It was reported in a newspaper article a while back, that the Humvee was available to the military with run-flat tires, which normally are inflated but which have some sort of an inner structure that allows them to continue running if they lose pressure.

Also, railroads have used non-inflated wheels for centuries.