Do these reptillian mouth structures have a name?

  • 1 Replies

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Offline Kryptid

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • 641
    • View Profile
I see these membranes or flaps of flesh or whatever they are in the corners of the mouth of some lizards and reconstructed dinosaurs. Do these structures have a name? They are usually pink, white or some lighter color than the surrounding skin:


My diagram is fairly crude, so here are some links that show them better:
Jesus is coming soon. Be prepared for him.


Offline Evie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • 200
  • "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Do these reptillian mouth structures have a name?
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2008 16:34:08 »
Though I am not a reptilian expert, I believe those are simply the jaw-connecting ligaments, which can be covered by a flap of skin. The technical term for the same in humans is the temporomandibular ligament. There are also several minor jaw ligaments, and below is a link with good technical descriptions and diagrams (of the human jaw musculature).

Here is a link describing it in reptiles, and it is referred to only as the "jaw-connecting ligaments."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Act I, scene 5