What is the clear (or light amber) substance on my plums?

• 2 Replies

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile

[attachment=15240]

It is fairly hard, only moderately chewy.  Not particularly sticky.  I thought it would be sugary, but it is almost tasteless.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/09/2011 02:47:06 »

[attachment=15240]

It is fairly hard, only moderately chewy.  Not particularly sticky.  I thought it would be sugary, but it is almost tasteless.

I think it's been excreted by a beastie. (Perhaps the Northwet American Plum Weevil?)
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/09/2011 10:44:02 »
mmm Victoria Plums.  We had a tree in my youth and I would eat plum till I was unable to move - and you just cannot get the lovely taste from shop plums.  We used to get that strange stuff as well on plums grown in SE England.  I am not sure it was always associated with beasties.   BTW I think the scabbing on the skin is bad news - might be worth checking out.  Our above mentioned plum tree got an infection and had to be chopped - and apparently they are quite susceptible to disease
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n