Treat C. Dificile with phagocytes?

• 4 Replies

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
Treat C. Dificile with phagocytes?
« on: 09/11/2012 22:12:15 »
While teaching in Tomsk, I got bodacious gastroenteritis. (Don't eat the sausage from the street vendors. Go with Shashlik). The doc treated me with a couple of vials ~200 ml. Of culture media containing a filtrate of phagocytes which attack every intestinal pathogen I ever heard of. It worked.

Would it work to treat C. Dificile? Sounds better than a poop pill to recolonize intestinal flora.

PS: It was the best tasting culture media I ever drank. I suggest a coca-cola chaser.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Treat C. Dificile with phagocytes?
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/2012 22:24:38 »
People have tried recolonizing* gastrointestinal flora as a treatment for C-difficile, but the treatment has to go in the other end (enema) ...   

Fecal (faecal) microbiota transplantation (FMT) also known as a stool transplant is the process of transplantation of fecal bacteria from a healthy individual into a recipient as a treatment for patients suffering from Clostridium difficile infection (CDI),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

[ * on this occasion pronounced re-colon-izing  [:)] ]

... The doc treated me with a couple of vials ~200 ml. Of culture media containing a filtrate of phagocytes which attack every intestinal pathogen I ever heard of. It worked.

People do recover from gastroenteritis without treatment, so your recovery was not necessarily due to the unorthodox treatment.  [ are you sure "doc" was a real doctor of medicine ?, your story reminded me of stem-cell scams ... http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-6402854.html ]
« Last Edit: 09/11/2012 23:10:10 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/11/2012 22:58:10 »
Phagocytes?

What exactly did you eat?
Phagocytes would essentially be white blood cells & macrophages.  From Humans?  From animals?

It sounds like an odd treatment.  Getting the white blood cells where they are not normally at. 
Would they survive the stomach?  The Coca Cola?

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2012 01:21:39 »
Rats. I meant to sat bacteriophages instead of phagocytes

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2012 01:34:05 »
Bacterial Viruses? 

Interesting.

I would think that one could be highly selective with the targeted bacteria.  At least with the right phages.

Keep in mind that a portion of the population is naturally colonized with Clostridium difficile.  So, the presence of the bacteria is not always pathogenic, although perhaps certain overgrowth conditions would be problematic.