My genetic chances of being bald?

• 5 Replies

Offline Super Hans

• View Profile
My genetic chances of being bald?
« on: 09/05/2013 02:09:20 »
This is a statement I pulled from Yahoo answers, is it true?

"The gene for baldness is on the X chromosome. As a guy, you inherited your Y from your dad and your X from your mom. But she inherited one X from her mom and one from her dad. If you got the X that she got from your maternal grandfather, then you will have his pattern of baldness."

Now my maternal grandfather isn't bald, but my dad is. I look a lot like my dad I'm just hoping I didn't inherit his bald gene.

Is the statement true?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Re: My genetic chances of being bald?
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2013 00:09:25 »
It is certainly true that the original questioner is hoping that he didn't inherit his father's bald gene! [;D]

The rest of the answer is certainly also true, provided that the father's baldness is genetic in origin. There is a proviso for other causes of baldness, e.g. psoriasis, which might have a completely different genetic pattern.

http://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/science-of-psoriasis
1 4 6 4 1
4 4 9 4 4     
a perfect perfect square square
6 9 6 9 6
4 4 9 4 4
1 4 6 4 1

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2013 22:15:37 »
It sounds like the baldness hereditary is complicated, and likely involves several genes.

There is a strong link to generation skipping on the maternal line (X Chromosome).  So, if your maternal grandfather was bald, your mother would carry the bald gene, and you would get a 50/50 chance of inheriting it.

However, notes indicate that a person also has a 2.5x greater chance of going bald if the father is bald, and perhaps also the paternal grandfather.  I'm not seeing the exact numbers.

I'm not sure how X-Chromosome inactivation affects the baldness genes in women.

Offline Super Hans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2013 00:33:16 »
Thanks for your replies. My Dad's brother isn't as bald as my dad, so I'm holding out some hope he was just a bit unlucky!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2013 21:22:13 »
What about your paternal grandfather?
Or your maternal grandfather?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/05/2013 18:09:12 »
Have to say that i have the same pattern of shiny-headedness as my maternal uncles and maternal grandfather!  My father (and paternal grandfather whislt he was alive) has far more hair than I or one of my elder brothers
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n