Why Are Cockroaches So Resistant To Radiation ?

• 3 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« on: 12/07/2008 13:33:23 »
Dear Cockroacheologists !

See Elphabeth here  ?

[attachment=3678]

She's a fine specimen of Roach goodness !.....in the Roach world she's a supermodel and won't get out of bed for anything less than three leaves and some animal protein and perhaps a nice drain to dwell under for a while !

I've often heard that cockroaches are resistant (or more resistant) to radiation than ewe and me.....is this a fallacy ?...if not.....then what makes them so hardy against radiation nastiness ?

Thank ewe

Neil
Rogue Roach Asker

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2008 14:50:08 »
Hi Neil

There not, ita a myth. They say cockroches would be the last survivors on earth but thats only due to the them being able to consume a very wide varity of products.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2008 15:01:09 »
Having an exoskeleton may allow them to survive a higher dose of radiation than us mammals,
analogous to a person wearing a suit of armour being able to withstand higher levels of radiation.

Dr Karl on cockroaches and radiation...
Drs. Ross and Cochran found that a dose as low as 6.400 rads would kill 93% of immature German cockroaches - making cockroaches only six to fifteen times tougher than we frail humans. Sure, cockroaches survive radiation better than we do - but they curl up and die at doses than don't even bother other insects.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1567313.htm
« Last Edit: 12/07/2008 15:06:59 by RD »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2008 20:05:16 »
I rather suspect that the reason she won't get out of bed is because she's pinned to it.

Mythbusters did a prog on this topic - they found that cockroaches weren't especially good at resisting radiation - they tested a few different creepy-crawlies and found one of the others was much more resistant than the roaches - sorry can't remember exactly what they were though.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!