For my own edification, what constitutes a "spammy" link on this forum?

• 4 Replies

DiscoverDave

For my own edification, what constitutes a "spammy" link on this forum (so I don't post one by mistake)?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la rÚsistance!"
    • View Profile
You may never know, because;

"Nobody expects the Spamish Inquisition!"

However, here is one example http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=27771.msg292690#msg292690
« Last Edit: 12/01/2010 06:14:23 by Geezer »
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force Šther.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
The link must be taken into context of who posts it. It's highly doubtful that a link will be removed from your post even if it links to a site with commercial interests, because you would post it for a reason other than to solely promote the interests of that company. A newly registered member with 1 or 2 posts wouldn't - usually they're bots that manage to crack the CAPTCHA (if this forum has one) for registering.
The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites, or women for men. - Alice Walker

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Glovesforfoxes is spot on - it's about context.  A regular poster citing a link would not be taken as spam (unless they started linking to the same site repeatedly, or out of context, then we would get concerned), but if it's in a user's first few posts, or clearly has a commercial interest, then it's usually easy to identify as spam.

Then there's the crafty spam:

New member 1:  Does anyone know if [weight loss product/drug/technology] works?

New member 2:  Yes, it does, and you can buy it at www.spam.com!

Often, these users will share an IP address, so they're pretty easy to spot.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Then there's the lazy / less sophisticated version of the above when the idle spammer just posts a sob story and then a miraculous cure experienced by...you've guessed it...buying something from <company they conveniently linked to>...

Sad really. If they just invested as much time in writing good quality content for their own site as they do filling other peoples' with crap then they'd have a) a good site and b) good search engine ratings.

Chris
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception - Groucho Marx