Acid Strength and Reactivity Questions

• 4 Replies

Offline atbear

• First timers
    • View Profile
Acid Strength and Reactivity Questions
« on: 23/08/2003 09:45:29 »
I have a bet with my cousin....  we were talking about HF, and he said that HF is the strongest acid (assuming that from it's electronegativity), and I told him no, that it's sooo electronegative that it holds on to the Hydrogen too well and that it was actually a weak acid....  Well we got all wound up about it, because he didn't believe me.  He also insists that HF is the most reactive acid (I questioned this) but I didn't tell him definately no.

So my questions are in regard to HCl and HF (I used HCl my strong acid example):  
1.  What is the stronger acid, HF or HCl?
2.  What is the more reactive acid, HF or HCl?
3.  Why for both (if you don't mind telling)?

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: Acid Strength and Reactivity Questions
« Reply #1 on: 23/08/2003 11:25:06 »
An acid is also called a proton donor. So a strong acid means it donates H+ readily. I agree with you that HCl is stronger than HF as fluorine attracts the hydrogen so strongly. I'm not sure which one is more reactive.

Angel
Angel

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2003 10:39:37 »
Acids which are considered "strong acids" are classified only as a function of thier ability to completely dissociate in water.  It has nothing to do with their ability to donate a proton.  Any acid which does not completely ionize in water is considered a weak acid, no matter how corrosive it may be.

HF, while it is extraordinarily reactive, is not a strong acid because it does not obtain 100% ionization into H+ and F- in aqueous solution.  

The only strong acids are: HCl, HI, HBr, HNO3, HClO3, HClO4, and H2SO4.  (note that only one proton of H2SO4 dissociates completely...the resulting ion HSO4- is only weakly acid)  

In more mathematical terms...if you place any of the strong acids into aqueous solution, for every mole of the acid you'll receive a mole of H+.  For weak acids, you'll receive a smaller amount based on the ionization constant for that acid.  (pKa)

So, you are correct in your statement to your cousin...HF is a weak acid, but not exactly for the reason you thought.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People
This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2003 12:20:43 »
Nicely explained. Thanks.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception - Groucho Marx

jolly