Quiz Round 2: Chemistry & Materials
28 July 2020
Bhavesh, Megan, and Chris took on these chemistry questions. How would you have done? Answers at the bottom!
- Marie Curie discovered two new elements, both of which are highly radioactive. Name one.
- During the process of fermentation, glucose is converted into ethanol plus what?
- What is its mass number if an atom contains 8 protons, 8 electrons, and 10 neutrons?
- Is a diamond considered a metal, a ceramic, or a composite?
- Table sugar is what type of sugar - made up of linked molecules of glucose and fructose?
- What are solar panels made of? It's an element commonly associated with electronics.
- True or false: metals are good conductors of both electricity and heat.
- True or false: ‘chaperonins’ are proteins in the body that help other proteins fold.
- What's the difference between an element and a compound?
- Finish this joke: how often do chemists make jokes?
- Fool’s gold is a compound made up of iron and what yellow element?
- Is milk acidic, alkaline, or neutral?
- What elements do all organic compounds contain?
- Is concrete a metal, a ceramic, or a composite?
- In photosynthesis, plants produce sugar and oxygen by taking in carbon dioxide and what compound?
- What noble gas is used in low-voltage lamps for its distinctive orange-red glow?
- True or false: ceramics have low melting points.
- What term describes substances that repel water?
- How many elements are there in the periodic table?
- Finish this joke: a neutron walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says:
- What precious metal is the best conductor of electricity at room temperature?
- The enzyme ‘rennin’ is typically used to make what food?
- What do you call an atom with more protons than electrons - an anion or a cation?
- Is paper a metal, a ceramic, or a composite?
- Name any naturally-occurring polymer.
- What is the most common element in the universe?
- True or false: atoms can form into a crystal, but molecules can't.
- A covalent bond is a chemical bond where atoms share what?
- What does the pH scale measure?
- Finish this joke: why can you never trust atoms?
- Radium or polonium
- Carbon dioxide
- 18 - the sum of the protons and neutrons
- A ceramic
- Compounds contain multiple elements (in fixed ratios)
- Slightly acidic
- Carbon and hydrogen
- A composite
- A) 118
- For you, no charge!
- A composite
- Starch, cellulose, chitin, gum, animal proteins, rubbers, DNA/RNA, lignin, and many others
- They make up everything!