Booze - Cruise - Destination Mars

18 December 2005


Mars could once have been a booze-Mecca for methanol lovers,

according to recent research from China's University of

Science and Technology. Most scientists believe that,

millennia ago, Mars was wet world where oceans, lakes,

rivers and streams sculpted the surface as they do here

on Earth today. But the Chinese research suggests that

grey deposits of iron oxide found on the surface could

also have formed in ancient seas filled with methanol,

an alcohol, rather than water. Further analysis of samples

from the Martian surface will be required to determine

whether the theory hold water or not. But for those fond

of a tipple, a trip to Mars remains a bad choice for a

booze-cruise under any circumstances because, once inside

the body, methanol is converted to formalin (formaldehyde),

a highly toxic chemical that is sometimes used to embalm

dead bodies!


Add a comment