HOW WE HANDLE YOUR DATA
EMAILS AND CONTENT FROM OTHER FEEDBACK FORMS
Please note that, unless you explicitly state otherwise, we will regard any content that you submit to us, including your name, as suitable for inclusion in our output, which can include published webpages, posts in our online forum, radio broadcasts or podcasts. For instance, if you send us a question, we may include that question, alongside your name as the submitter, in a future programme. If you would prefer us not to do this, or to answer your question anonymously, please state this preference clearly at the start of your communication with us. Please note that we cannot remove material from programmes or content that have already been broadcast or published.
NAKED SCIENTISTS COPYRIGHT POLICY
All content published on this website including any contributions you make, except if stated otherwise, will be regarded as owned by the Naked Scientists. You are free to view and download the material for personal use, and you may link to the content from external websites. Short written quotations of up to 50 words taken from a page on the site are acceptable, provided these are accompanied by a clear, visible and active link to the source page on the Naked Scientists website. Lengthier texts, and all audiovisual media made available via this site, including via RSS feeds and third party platforms utilised for content distribution by the Naked Scientists, must not be reproduced, re-published, re-distributed or re-used in any form or on any medium, including online and offline, without the prior permission of the Naked Scientists. Applications for such use should be made to the Managing Editor.
NAKED SCIENTISTS COOKIES
This website makes use of "cookies" to help provide you with the best experience we can. Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile phone when you browse websites.
- The cookies used on this website are for the following purposes:
- Make our website work as you'd expect
- Save you having to login every time you visit the site
- Remember your settings during and between visits
- Offer you free services/content (thanks to advertising)
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Make our marketing more efficient (ultimately helping us to offer the free service that we do)
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
- Pay sales commissions
- Determining if you are logged in or not
- Remembering your search settings
- Allowing you to add comments to our site
- There is no way to prevent these cookies being set other than to not use our site.
- Social Networking Cookies:
- To enable you to “Like” or share our content via platforms like Facebook and Twitter, we have included sharing buttons on our site. The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
- Anonymous Visitor Statistics Cookies:
- Advertising Cookies:
- Cookies are widely used in online advertising. Neither us, advertisers or our advertising partners can gain personally identifiable information from these cookies. We only work with advertising partners who work to accepted privacy standards.
- You can learn more about online advertising at http://www.youronlinechoices.com and opt out of such advertising, although we would prefer that you didn't as ultimately adverts help keep much of the internet free. It is also worth noting that opting out of advertising cookies will not mean you won't see adverts, just simply that they won't be tailored to you any longer.
- Banner Adverts:
- We fund our site by showing adverts as you browse our site. These adverts are usually managed by a partner specialising in providing adverts for multiple sites. Invariably these partners place cookies to collect anonymous data about the websites you visit so they can personalise the adverts to you, ensure that you don't see the same adverts too frequently and ultimately report to advertisers on which adverts are working.
- Turning Cookies Off:
- You can usually switch cookies off by adjusting your browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies (Learn how here). Please note that doing so will limit the functionality of this site.
- It may be that your concerns around cookies relate to so called "spyware". Rather than switching off cookies in your browser, you may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same objective by automatically deleting cookies considered to be invasive.
The cookie information on this site is derived from content provided by Attacat Internet Marketing (http://www.attacat.co.uk), a marketing agency based in Edinburgh. If you need similar information for your own website you can use their free cookie audit tool.
Additional Privacy Information relevant to the Naked Science Forum:
The Naked Science Forum is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement. We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. The present policy is effective from May 25, 2018.
What information we collect about you on the forum:
We may collect the following information when you use our website:
-Date of Birth
-Other data collected that could directly or indirectly identify you.
Cookies and other tracking scripts
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
If at any time you have questions about our privacy practices or any of your rights described below, you may reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How we use information we collect
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
-Internal record keeping including service optimization, website stats.
-We may use the information to improve our products and services.
-We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
Sharing with trusted third parties.
We may share your personal data with third parties with which we have partnered to allow you to integrate their services into our own Services, and with trusted third party service providers as necessary for them to perform services on our behalf, such as:
-Performing analysis of our Services and customers demographics
Data about Usage of Services
Such data are automatically collected when you use and interact with our Services, including metadata, log files, cookie/device IDs and location information. This information includes specific data about your interactions with the features, content and links (including those of third-parties, such as social media plugins) contained within the Services, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and settings, the date and time the Services were used, information about browser configuration and plugins, language preferences and cookie data, information about devices accessing the Services, including type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers and error data, and some of this data collected might be capable of and be used to approximate your location.
How we store and secure information we collect
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard.and secure the information we collect online.
While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
Compliance with legal, regulatory and law enforcement requests.
We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (such as subpoena requests), to protect our property and rights or the property and rights of a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical.
Communicating with you.
We may contact you directly such as necessary to deliver transactional or website related communications.
We may also contact you with offers for additional services we think you'll find valuable if you give us consent, or where allowed based upon legitimate interests.
These contacts may include:
You may also update your subscription preferences with respect to receiving communications from us and/or our partners by signing into your account and visiting your Profile -> Notifications page.
Transfer of personal data abroad.
If you utilize our Services from a country other than the country where our servers are located, your communications with us may result in transferring your personal data across international borders
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under by visiting your profile and clicking export data.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us at email@example.com as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be inaccurate.